Arniston Self Catering Accommodation, Arniston is really a town where time has stood where the practices of generations of fishermen quietly continue without interruptions.
The HMS Arniston was holding 378 passengers (primarily wounded soldiers along with ladies and children) and was sailing from Ceylon (Sri Lanka) back once again to England when it struck a reef. Only six individuals survived the ordeal however, Arniston is just a hide-away for travellers, To-day. You will perhaps not find a pumping nightlife and adrenalin-packed attractions here, only a violet sea, peace and quiet.
Besides its relaxing atmosphere, there are also interesting places to see. Kassiesbaai is characterised by humble white thatch cottages. As many who live here still earn an income from the ocean It is possible to encounter the customs of the locals.
In the course of time it evolved into Waenhuiskrans. Among the greatest transport tragedies occurred within 1815, when the troopship Arniston holding a significant number of sick men en-route from Ceylon to England, went down and 372 lives were lost. Only six men survived.
The fishing hamlet on the borders of the village is named Kassiesbaai (kassie = wooden box). Legend has it that lot of paraffin boxes washed up on the beach in early in the day years. Residents built houses from these boxes and covered them over with clay. Roofs were manufactured from thatch. In later years, anglers used sandstone for building. In 1975, a small grouping of Capetonians began the “Save Arniston” project and they served to displace these houses. Kassiesbaai, that has been declared a National Monument, is extremely well-liked by artists and photographers.
Near Waenhuiskrans may be the Struispunt beacon that has been built at the beginning of the 1900s. It has a sandstone bottom with a huge bronze ball at the top. That beacon acts as extra notice for ships and was created following the luxurious liner Queen of the Thames was wrecked on her maiden voyage. Guests frequently walk to the beacon, five kilometres south of the village.When Waenhuiskrans was founded in 1905, the fishing community sent applications for the protection of their fishing rights. This generated a 200 foot (66 metre) red line above the high water mark being registered. This original servitude remains good.
Look at the wonderful Waenhuiskrans cave; the area responsible for Arniston’s other name. That cave, according to a local theory, is really large that the wagon using a full span of oxen could turn around inside.
Driving south from Bredasdorp, the trail of 24 km incurs Waenhuiskrans, originally referred to as “Holkranz” (hollow cave). Wagenhuiz Kranz originated from the size of the cave, where people believed a wagon and span of oxen could turn.
The favorite Arniston Hotel, an art gallery and crafters’ heart are a few of the sights for holiday-makers and people. The stylish fishermen’s cottages are much-photographed. Although Arniston is accepted as a de-facto choice owing to the common use the Post-office thinks Waenhuiskrans as the appropriate name for the village.